Application to Evaluation to Grantmaking to Follow-Up
A Short Summary
Grantmaking is the heart and soul of Anne Arundel Women Giving Together (AAWGT), and our initial reason for coming together as a group — to pool our money to make the most difference in the lives of women and families in our county.
This process mobilizes the dedication, capabilities and thoughtfulness of many, many women each year, and the committees that they join. These committees include the Grants Committee, the Post-Grants Evaluation Committee and the Grants Systems Committee.
The GRANTS COMMITTEE consists of a Chair and Co-chair, Team Leaders and Reviewers. Each Team Leader will have 4-6 Reviewers on her team and will be assigned to 4-5 Applicant Organizations, depending on the number of applications received that year. Its main task is to evaluate applications for voting by the full membership. Although the focus of the Grants Committee’s work is February through May/June, it is active all year evaluating the current process and polishing the application process for the coming year.
The POST-GRANTS EVALUATION COMMITTEE consists of a Chair and Co-Chair, and Liaisons. Two to three liaisons are assigned to each ongoing grant to provide leadership, oversight, encouragement and structure. The Grantees are required to provide two reports each year (Interim in November and Final in August), which the Post-Grants Evaluation Committee evaluates and then provides its own interpretation and appraisal. This committee sponsors a Grants Showcase in September, at which last year’s grantees highlight the impact of AAWGT’s grant funds. The committee liaisons keep in touch with their grantee counterparts throughout the year.
The GRANTS SYSTEMS COMMITTEE maintains the Foundant grants management system, and works with the Grants and Post-Grants Evaluation Committees to create the templates for the Application, the Follow-Ups, and other necessary reports. The Committee keeps an electronic repository of all grant-related documents and communications. This committee also provides ‘Help Desk’ services to applicants during the application process and to the Grants and Post-Grants Evaluation Committees as requested.
- January 3rd, 2022, AAWGT and the Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County (CFAAC) distributes our Call for Applications to Anne Arundel County nonprofits to solicit their interest in applying for a grant, explaining our eligibility requirements, and directing them to the AAWGT website for detailed information and the actual application.
- January 13th, 2022, 9:30am and 1:30pm The Grants Committee presents a Zoom Grant Applicant Workshop to assist interested organizations in successfully applying for a grant.
- February 11, 2022 Application deadline. Following the deadline, the Grants Committee and the Grants Systems Committee conduct a Due Diligence review on all applications. Organizations that do not meet Due Diligence requirements are promptly notified.
- February 17th, 2022, 12:30pm, Reviewer and Team Leader Training
- February, March and April, 2022 Grants Committee Team Leaders and Reviewers meet with their individual teams to discuss their assigned applications.
- March 30, 2022 The first Grants Committee Team Leader meeting occurs, where reviewed applications are discussed, including any follow-up questions that need to be addressed in an email with the Applicant. Team Leaders then vote on which applications go forward, and applicants are promptly notified should their application not advance.
- April 13, 2022 The second Grants Committee Team Leader meeting occurs where the results of any follow-up questions are discussed. A vote is again taken among Team Leaders to determine which organizations should advance to full-membership ballot vote. Applicants are promptly notified should their application not advance to the ballot.
- May, 2022 The final applicants are presented to the general membership for voting. Successful applicants are notified!.
- June, 2022 CFAAC sends grantees a package that includes their Award Letter, our reporting expectations, and a Grant Agreement to be signed.
- July, 2022 Checks are sent out by CFAAC. The Post-Grants Evaluation Committee liaisons get their assignments for the current grantees. The Final Reports for the Previous Year’s grantees are due from the grantees at the end of the month.
- August, 2022 The Post-Grants Evaluation Committee Liaison portion of the (July) Final Report is due to the Post-Grants Evaluation Committee Chair/Co Chair.
- September, 2022 The Post-Grants Evaluation Committee holds a Showcase with current Grantee representatives, and presentations from the previous year’s grantees highlighting their organizations, often with speakers who have directly benefitted from programs that AAWGT has funded.
- October, 2022 The final revisions will be completed for next year’s application by the Grants Committee and the Grants Systems Committee. Final guidelines for our upcoming grant year are decided.
- November, 2022 The Post-Grants Evaluation Committee will receive the Interim Reports from the current year’s Grantees. Liaisons meet with their current Grantees to assess progress and help ensure successful outcomes.
And the year begins again…